As of September 2013, the Mercury Research Group will move into the new PAE building at the Midi-Pyrenees Observatory, where two 20m2 labs will host our equipment and activities. One lab is dedicated to the use of enriched Hg stable isotopes for Hg speciation sample preparation and experimental work. The second lab is dedicated to research on natural variations in Hg stable isotope signatures.
We use a wide range of Hg analysis techniques. Mass spectrometers are operated and maintained by the ICPMS division of the Midi-Pyrenees Observatory and we acknowledge priceless help of the ICPMS engineers and technicians.
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometry (AAS) - analysis of Hg in solid samples
- Atomic Fluorescence Spectrometry (AFS) - analysis of Hg in natural waters
- Atomic Fluorescence Spectrometry (AFS) - analysis of Hg in atmospheric samples
- Mercury, aerosol and cloud water samplers - Pic du Midi Observatory
- Isotope Dilution - Gas Chromatography - ICPMS (ID-GC-ICPMS) - analysis of Hg speciation in natural waters and biological tissues
- Multi-Collector - ICPMS - (MC-ICPMS) analysis of natural Hg stable isotope variations in rocks, tissues, gases etc.
- Sample preparation - clean labs, combustion techniques, trapping techniques